Monday, April 21, 2008

Luke Skywalker


I am a Jedi, like my father before me. Obiwan and Yoda taught me the ways of the Force. Surrounded by nature during my training on Dagobah, I learned that nature and technology are just part of the great conflict between the good side and the Dark side of the Force (watch clip 1 now). And in the original Star Wars, I brought balance to the force. I faced evil and overcame it. But have you seen the new Star Wars? Episodes 1-3? What a piece of junk! The struggle between good and evil was totally undermined.

So what made the original episodes so good? It was the focus on the conflict. The audience came for the classic struggle between good and evil. And it was the conflict between good and evil that compelled audiences to come back—to experience my journey time and time again.

When I first began my training as a Jedi, I was young, headstrong, never my mind on where I was or what I was doing (Star Wars V.26). I worked on a farm, and only wished that someone could alter time, speed up the harvest, or teleport me off the rock of a planet I lived on.

But as the story unfolded, I realized that I was more than a mere farm boy. The original trilogy follows my path in becoming a Jedi. I was not afraid. I faced Vader and the evil empire that boasted to be the ultimate power in the universe (Star Wars IV.16). The empire's technology and weaponry easily destroyed entire planets. But it was my destiny to stop them and to save the galaxy. And the fight scenes were proof of my desitny. The action sequences carried meaning, purpose, and charged dialogue (watch clip 3 now). I could not escape my destiny. And in the end—good really did conquer evil. That was the original Star Wars story. That's what people wanted to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Were you really that stupid in that you expected the Prequel Trilogy to have portray morality in the same black-and-white fashion as the Original Trilogy?

Were you really that stupid in believing that the PT would end in "good triumphing over evil"? Or did you simply tuned out in what the Prequel Trilogy was supposed to be about? Namely the downfall of the Old Republic - a downfall that included Anakin Skywalker, the Jedi Order, the Republic Senate and the galaxy in general.